You Are Here: Home » Education » New Book Speaks to the Power of Self-Acceptance

New Book Speaks to the Power of Self-Acceptance

Education Book 190x300 New Book Speaks to the Power of Self AcceptanceAccording to freedomtomarry.org, 43 percent of U.S. citizens live in a state that provides some legal protection for gay couples, be it domestic partnership recognition or gay marriage recognition. Author Daniel Williams, however, was part of the other 57 percent, growing up in a very small town in South Carolina, a state that has an anti-gay amendment written into its constitution.

Williams refuses to give up. His new memoir, “Me and the Lion’s Den” (published by AuthorHouse), shares his funny, poignant and touching story of growing up gay in a Southern town in South Carolina.

“The tolerance of some alternative lifestyles is changing while the gay life is accepted for some but not others,” remarks Williams. “Maybe my book will pave the way for someone else that walks in my shoes.”

“Me and the Lion’s Den” follows Williams struggle for acceptance among his family and friends. In a town of less than 2,000 people, Williams grew up a Southern Baptist with strong Christian morals in his family, and being gay was simply not acceptable. He faced abuse and deceit from his partners and prejudice from many of the people whom he once called friends. Though Williams faces many challenges throughout the narrative, his courage and determination to be himself will inspire readers to do the same.

Williams hopes readers will understand “how hard it is to live any type of alternative lifestyle in a ‘village’ of 1,892 people.”

About the Author

Daniel W. Williams was raised in a small Southern town of approximately 2,000 people. He is one of the elite few Southern gay men that have survived the negative remarks, partly due to the stereotypical Southern culture. He remains very dedicated to his family.

 

 

Share This Story!

    About The Author

    Number of Entries : 3860
    Scroll to top