By Inez Lanns
We can acquire information and knowledge from many sources, and yet there are some things that we only learn through time and experience. In my life I have had a chance to experience many places and things, but here are some key things that I have learned along the way:
- The grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Often we can have everything that we need right in front our eyes and at our fingertips, but something will try and come to pull us away from where are. We should not be fooled by enticing temptations and the bright, shiny lights. Everything that glitters is not gold.
- Rome wasn’t built in a day. We have dreams and visions, and sometimes we would like them to happen right now, today. However, big dreams take time. The dream is given to us so that we can stay focused and on the right path. As my Papa would say, “Anything worth having is worth working for.” Be patient and stay on path. Those that don’t give up are the ones who succeed.
- People are human, and everyone makes mistakes. We get very upset with others for falling short, hurting our feelings and disappointing us by not living up to the expectations that we have set. But the reality is we have all been on the other side of that and let others down. Just as we would like others to forgive us, we should forgive. Forgiveness will keep you free – free to live, free to love & free to laugh.
- You can’t control other people. We cannot control what other people think or what they do. However, we can control how we allow them to affect us (in other words: how we react). The reality is as long as we are alive, we will have to deal with other people. Even if you choose to not have friends you will still have to interact with other human beings when you go to the grocery store, to the doctor, to buy gas and other activities. People are not always going to act in a way that is pleasing to us. However, we can find inner peace and not be moved by every little thing.
- You must love yourself before you can truly love others. Now this one is one that many people miss. Often times people are seeking love and validation from others, so they try to act and do things that would get people to like (or love) them. Part of the problem with that is they then have to change and fit the mold of what other people want them to be, even to what society says that they should be. When a person begins to love them self and who they are, they will attract people who love them (for who they truly are) into their lives. Since you are the one person that you are the one consistent person that will always be with you from beginning to the end, why not love you?