Oxnard Salsa Festival Announces Six Stars for the ‘Dancing with our Community Stars’
Oxnard, CA – Community leaders will dance for the greater good during the ‘2015 Dancing with our Community Stars Dance Contest and Charity Fundraiser’ taking place during the 22nd Annual Oxnard Salsa Festival.
The 2015 line-up consists of six ‘stars’ who will take to the dance floor to raise much-needed funds for their charity of choice. The salsa-dance contest is patterned after ABC’s hit TV show, ‘Dancing with the Stars.’ The contest features two men and four women who will be paired up with some of the region’s best dance instructors to learn salsa moves and routines that will be performed in front of the audience at the Festival on Sunday, July 26 at 1 p.m. at Plaza Park in downtown Oxnard. Since its inception, the contest has raised over $650,000 for local charities.
The dance competitors are as follows:
• Christina Albert, dancing for Soroptomists International of Oxnard with instructor, Jesse ‘Chuy’ Rodriguez;
• Jim Duran, Lead Pastor, River Community Church in Ventura & Director of The City Center Transitional Living, dancing for The City Center with instructor, Alethia Alvarez;
• Meredith Garofalo, Meteorologist/Reporter, KEYT- News 3, dancing for Make-A-Wish Tri-Counties with instructor, Jesus Garcia;
• Mary Jo Fuentes Leste, Owner of TLC Tender Loving Care Hospice, dancing for Loving Heart Hospice Foundation with instructor, Oswaldo Balcaceres;
• Tyler Marie, dancing for Community Action of Ventura County, with instructor Lovie Hernandez;
• Edgar Mohorko, Jr., dancing for Oxnard PAL, Police Activities League with instructor, Diana Tere;
The dancers will be vying for the coveted ‘Judge’s Choice Award’ for the best routine, while also competing for the ‘People’s Choice Award’, which is awarded to the star who raises the most money for his or her charity. The fundraising campaign is underway and donations can be made online at www.oxnardsalsaFestival.com.