Oxnard Salsa Festival Announces Six Stars for the ‘Dancing with our Community Stars’
Community leaders will dance for the greater good during the ‘2013 Dancing with our Community Stars Dance Contest and Charity Fundraiser’ taking place during the 20th Annual Oxnard Salsa Festival.
The 2013 line-up consists of six ‘stars’ who will take to the dance floor to raise much-needed funds for their charity of choice. The salsa-dance contest is patterned after ABC’s hit TV show, ‘Dancing with the Stars.’ The contest features three men and three women who will be paired up with some of the region’s best dance instructors to learn salsa moves and routines that will be performed in front of the audience at the Festival on Sunday, July 28 at 1 p.m. at Plaza Park in downtown Oxnard. Since its inception, the contest has raised over $300,000 for local charities.
The 2013 contest sponsors are Ventura County Credit Union, Republic Services of Oxnard and Sugar Beets Restaurant and Bar.
The dance competitors are as follows:
- Margie Cochrane, Regional Publisher/CRO for the Ventura County Star, dancing for CASA Pacifica with instructor, Jesse ‘Chuy’ Rodriguez;
- Terrance Dixon, Advertising Representative for the Ventura County Star, dancing for Gull Wings Children’s Museum with instructor, Kristi Kellogg;
- Juan Gonzales, dancing for Teatro de las Americas with instructor, Diana (Tere) Porter;
- Mary Pinto Casillas, professor at Oxnard College dancing for The Rebozo Festival, dancing with instructor, Ricky Campos;
- Joe Schroeder, President/CEO of Ventura County Credit Union for Food Share, with instructor, Christina Maggio;
- Gabriela Teissier, news anchor for Univision, dancing for ACT-Today! with instructor, Isaiah Meders.
The dancers will be vying for the coveted ‘Judge’s Choice Award’ for the best routine, while also competing for the ‘People’s Choice Award’, which is awarded to the star who raises the most money for his or her charity. The fundraising campaign is underway and donations can be made online at www.oxnardsalsaFestival.com.
In addition, fundraising events will be hosted by participating charities during June and July, culminating during Festival weekend,July 27 and 28, when attendees can donate on site at the ‘Dancing with our Community Stars’ booth.