United Way’s New “Help Beyond the Holidays” to Provide to Those in Need
United Way of Ventura County will hold a first-ever “Help Beyond the Holidays” campaign to help families in need with a few basic essentials. United Way is asking the community to stop by designated locations throughout Ventura County between Monday, Dec. 9 through Friday, Dec. 20 to drop off diapers, toilet paper, toothpaste, and toothbrushes in the marked bins. All brands will be accepted. These items will be given to agencies who work with the homeless and low-income families living in Ventura County.
“We know there are hundreds of homeless or low-income individuals and families in our community with critical basic needs throughout the year. This new United Way campaign is designed to answer some of those needs, well beyond the holiday season,” said David M. Smith, president and chief executive officer of the United Way of Ventura County.
Listed below are the “Help Beyond the Holidays” drop-off locations (with more sites to be added*):
- United Way of Ventura County, 4001 Mission Oaks Blvd., Suite E, Camarillo
- Simi Valley Ford, 2440 1st Street, Simi Valley
- Union Bank, 2310 E. Ponderosa Drive, Camarillo
- Alexander Buick GMC, 1501 E. Ventura Blvd., Oxnard Auto Center
- Alexander Cadillac, 1600 Auto Center Dr., Oxnard Auto Center
- Courtyard by Marriott Hotel, 4994 Verdugo Way, Camarillo
- Union Bank – 250 S. Mills Road, Ventura
- Union Bank – 2930 Tapo Canyon Road, Simi Valley
- For a complete, up-to-date list of drop-off locations, please visit www.vcunitedway.org.
The Pleasant Valley/Somis Lions Club is a sponsor of “Help Beyond the Holidays” and Meathead Movers has partnered with United Way to provide collection boxes and to pick up all of the donations from the drop-off locations. Volunteers will count and sort all of the donated items to be distributed to agencies in mid-January.
In addition to the donation of diapers, toilet paper, toothpaste, and toothbrushes, individuals can also make monetary donations to “Help Beyond the Holidays” which will be used to purchase additional items — especially diapers. To make a minimum $10 donation, visit www.vcunitedway.org, click the donate button, and select “Help Beyond the Holidays” from the pull-down menu. Individuals can also make a $10 donation by using their cellphone to text the keyword UWVC to 27722. Standard message and data rates apply. Individuals can mail or drop off a check made payable to United Way of Ventura County to: 4001 Mission Oaks Blvd., Suite E, Camarillo, CA 93012. Please write “Help Beyond the Holidays” on the note line.